The homes from Express Modular routinely meet or exceed ENERGY STAR® guidelines. Our homes start in our state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities, so we can produce much “tighter” houses than those built on-site. In fact, our homes routinely operate at least 15 percent more efficiently than a standard home. You’ll also find that your home from Express Modular is comfortable year-round, thanks to our high standards for building homes that are beautiful, strong and durable. Express Modular uses a variety of building products and processes that earn the ENERGY STAR® label.
Energy efficiency improvements save homeowners money—about $200 to $400 per year on utility bills. More importantly, monthly energy savings can easily exceed any additional mortgage cost for the energy efficiency improvements, resulting in a positive cash-flow from the first day of home ownership. As a result, the cost-effectiveness of ENERGY STAR® improvements can help offset any additional costs.
To earn an ENERGY STAR® label, the home must meet specific guidelines. An energy efficient home uses energy efficient products such as high performance windows and doors, tight seals on insulation and ducts, and efficient heating/cooling equipment, lighting fixtures and appliances. Homes that operate at least 30% more efficiently than a standard home are eligible to receive the ENERGY STAR® label.
Express Modular's ENERGY STAR Offerings
Our standard ENERGY STAR® package delivers many features that meet national ENERGY STAR® guidelines. Additional ENERGY STAR®-certified items may be added to give you enhanced energy efficiency and savings. Products that are outside of this standard offering can be special ordered if the home buyers would like them in their new home. Our ENERGY STAR® package includes:
- All common walls between modules are protected with a high quality gasketing system to provide an increased airtight seal between boxes.
- All exterior walls forming the thermal envelope are fully caulked at mating points to completely seal out air flow in accordance with the national ENERGY STAR requirements.
- All other penetrations of the thermal envelope such as wire ways and chases are fully caulked in accordance with the ENERGY STAR requirements.
- All wall insulation provides full six-sided contact with no voids at wire, plumbing, blocking, etc. Insulation R value to be specified on order.
- The voids between door and window jambs are fully insulated with batt insulation.
- Windows and doors meet or exceed the ENERGY STAR requirements for the zone the home is built in.
- Attic insulation to be blown in to provide full truss-to-truss contact with no voids at wires, plumbing, blocking, etc. Insulation must be in full contact with ceiling drywall. (Note: Insulation is a separate item from this program, the recommended R value must be specified on the quotation, insulation is a separate charge in addition to ENERGY STAR).
- Basement stair walls or attic close-off walls of the thermal envelope are fully insulated according to wall thickness, caulked, glued, and gasketed as per the method used for exterior walls.
- Accuvent roof baffles are provided in all soffit areas as required to provide proper airflow and maximum insulation depth.
- Floor decking is glued to exterior perimeter rails, creating an airtight seal.
- Floors with unheated spaces below such as garages are fully insulated to provide full six-sided contact.
- The edge of the floor decking on all second story storage areas is fully insulated.
- Tub and shower drain cutouts are fully insulated if they penetrate the thermal envelope.
- A continuous backer is provided behind all tubs and showers to ensure six-sided contact with all insulation.
- One ENERGY STAR-certified 100 cfm combo bath fan, light, timer and connection.
- All electrical boxes on the exterior walls are gasketed at the plate cover.
- All electrical boxes on the exterior walls are caulked from the rear.
- Two ENERGY STAR-certified exterior lights.
- A certified Home Energy Rater will be contracted to inspect modules at the factory site and provide an ENERGY STAR Qualified Homes Thermal Bypass Inspection Checklist.
Be sure to ask your Modular Home Consultant about getting the Energy Star certification for your new modular home. You can't afford not to do it!